Are you a fan of tostones, the delicious fried plantain dish from Latin and Caribbean cuisine? Have you been wanting to make them at home but thought it was too complicated or time-consuming?
Good news – making tostones in an air fryer can be quick, easy, and totally tasty.
In this post, I’m going to show you how to make tostones in an air fryer with no deep-frying involved! Plus, I’ll cover reheating and storing tips so that your crunchy treats stay crackly even after they cool down.
So let’s get our frying pans ready – it’s time for some crispy goodness!
How to Make Tostones in an Air Fryer?
Read on for step-by-step instructions, so you can enjoy tostones at home with your family.
1. Preheat Your Air Fryer:
Before you begin, preheat your air fryer to 400F. This will ensure that your plantains come out perfectly crisp and golden brown every time.
2. Prep Green Plantains:
Start by cutting off the ends of the plantains.
With a sharp knife, slice longways down the skin to create an opening for peeling.
Peel off the skin and slice into 1″ rounds.
3. Seasoning Your Tostones
If you want to add extra flavor, lightly spray your reheated tostones with olive oil before cooking them in your air fryer.
This will help them crisp up even more and also adds a delicious flavor boost!
For added zest, sprinkle some garlic powder or cumin over the top of your cooked tostones before serving.
4. Air Fry Tostones:
Place the plantain slices into the air fryer basket or tray and set the timer for 5 minutes or until they are lightly crisped and the insides are soft and fluffy.
5. Smush Tostones:
Remove from the air fryer and place on a cutting board or flat surface.
Using the bottom of a heavy jar or cup, gently smash each piece down flat. This will help them become even more crispy when finished cooking in the air fryer!
6. Finish Frying & Serve:
Brush each side again with oil and return to the air fryer for 5 more minutes until golden brown and crisp all over.
Remove from the basket with tongs, sprinkle with sea salt if desired, and let cool slightly before serving warm!
7. Serving Suggestions
Tostones make a great side dish or appetizer for any meal!
Serve with dips such as guacamole or salsa for an extra flavorful twist. They also pair well with proteins such as grilled chicken or fish tacos for a quick and easy dinner idea.
How to Store Air Fryer Tostones for Maximum Deliciousness
If you want your air fryer tostones to maintain their flavor and texture, take the time to learn the best storage techniques so you can enjoy them for days (or weeks!) after making them.
Here’s how to store air fryer tostones for maximum freshness:
1. Storing in the Refrigerator
Your first option for storing air fryer tostones is to refrigerate them in an airtight container. This is especially important if you plan on eating them within two days of cooking.
To do this, let your tostones cool completely before transferring them into a plastic bag or container with a lid. Make sure there aren’t any gaps around the edges where air could escape.
Then place it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to enjoy your snack!
2. Storing in the Freezer
If you want your air fryer tostones to last longer than two days, freezing is your best bet.
- First, let the tostones cool completely before transferring them into an airtight container or freezer bag.
- Be sure there aren’t any gaps at the edges and squeeze out as much air from the container or bag as possible before sealing it tightly.
- Place it in the freezer and thaw it out when you’re ready for a snack!
How To Reheat Tostones in an Air Fryer?
Let’s take a look at how to reheat tostones in an air fryer:
- To reheat tostones, start by preheating your air fryer for 3-5 minutes.
- Then add your previously fried tostones and cook for 2-3 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- If you want extra crunchy tostones, give them an extra minute or two in the air fryer.
- Be sure not to overcrowd the air fryer basket; this will prevent the tostones from becoming crispy and could leave them soggy.
Additionally, make sure they are evenly spread out in the basket so they cook evenly on all sides.
Air Fryer Tostones Variations:
Let’s look at two ways to make air fryer plantains.
1. Air Fryer Plantain Chips:
To make air-fried plantain chips, you can use the dehydrate setting in your air fryer if applicable.
To air-fry plantain chips, peel and slice the plantains very thin and air fry in a single layer at 350 making sure to toss often until cooked through and not burnt.
These chips are perfect for topping salads or eating as a snack!
2. Air Fryer Sweet Plantains
Plantains that are brown or sweeter are Cuban plantains called platanos maduros and can be cut into slices, drizzled in oil, and air-fried until crispy on the outside and tender in the middle.
These sweet plantains work well as an accompaniment for savory dishes like tacos or served as a dessert with ice cream.
How to Flatten Tostones?
Here is how to flatten tostones in different ways:
Method 1 – The Coffee Mug Method
One of the simplest ways to flatten your plantain is by using a coffee mug or other heavy drinking glass.
- Begin by peeling and slicing your plantain into 1/2-inch thick slices.
- Once that is done, place the pieces between two sheets of parchment paper or in a brown paper bag and press down on it with your mug.
- Make sure to press firmly, but not too hard as you don’t want to break the mug.
- After you’ve flattened all your pieces, gently remove them from the parchment paper/bag and fry them up until they turn golden brown. This method requires minimal effort but produces great results!
Method 2 – The Pot Method
If you’re looking for something even easier than the coffee mug method, then this one might be for you!
- Start off by prepping your plantain as usual (peel and slice).
- Now place your pot lid upside down on the counter (make sure it is clean!).
- Put one piece of plantain at a time onto the lid and press down firmly with your hand until it is flat enough for frying.
- Keep doing this until all of your pieces are flattened, then heat up some oil in a frying pan and get ready to cook!
Method 3 – The Rolling Pin Method
This method works best if you have access to a rolling pin; however, if you don’t have one lying around, any cylindrical item should work just fine (think canned goods or wine bottles!).
- Start off like before by peeling and slicing your plantain into thin slices.
- Place each slice between two parchment papers/brown bags and use the rolling pin/cylinder item to smash each piece flat simultaneously pressing down on each side evenly until it reaches the desired thickness.
- Take out each piece from its parchment papers/bag carefully so that none gets broken. Finally, heat up some oil in a frying pan and fry up those flattened pieces!
Making delicious tostones in your air fryer is quick, easy, and sure to please everyone in your family! With just a few simple steps you can have these tasty treats ready in no time at all – perfect for any occasion!
You can also add an extra layer of flavor to your favorite dishes with these variations of air-fried tostones! Whether it’s crispy chips or sweet plantains, you can enjoy tasty toppings while avoiding unhealthy oils.
With an air fryer, reheating previously fried foods like tostones is easy and hassle-free. Preheat your air fryer then add your ingredients – don’t forget seasoning if desired – then wait a few minutes until they’re hot and ready! Enjoy as a side dish or as part of a meal – either way, you’ll love how easy it was too make these delicious treats!
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.