Flautas are a Mexican dish that is traditionally made with chicken, beef, or pork and deep-fried in oil.
However, if you want to make a healthier version of flautas without sacrificing taste, using an air fryer is the way to go!
Air fryers are an amazing kitchen appliance because they use hot air circulation to “fry” food without using any extra oil. Keep reading for our easy-to-follow recipe on how to make air fryer flautas.
How to Make Air Fryer Flautas?
Here is a step-by-step guide on making air fryer flautas:
– 6 small flour tortillas
– ½ lb ground beef
– ¼ cup diced onion
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 1 teaspoon chili powder
– ½ teaspoon ground cumin
– ½ teaspoon oregano leaves
– Salt and pepper, to taste
– 1 cup shredded cheese (cheddar or Monterey jack)
– ½ cup salsa
1. Preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees F.
2. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the beef and onions until the meat is no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Drain fat if needed.
3. Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper to the beef mixture. Cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
4. Transfer the beef mixture to a bowl and stir in shredded cheese.
5. Spoon about ¼ cup of the beef cheese filling onto each tortilla and roll it up tightly. Place the flautas seam-side down in the air fryer.
6. Cook for 10 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
7. Serve flautas with salsa on the side. Enjoy!
Can You Freeze Homemade Air Fryer Flautas?
Yes, you can freeze the air fryer flautas once they are cooked.
- To freeze them, simply let them cool completely and then wrap them tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil.
- Place the wrapped flautas in a freezer-safe bag or container and store them in the freezer for up to three months.
When you’re ready to enjoy them, simply thaw them in the refrigerator overnight and heat them in the air fryer for a few minutes until they’re hot and crispy.
Why Do People Call Flautas Taquitos?
Flautas and taquitos are both Mexican dishes that have a lot in common.
The main difference between the two is that flauta is made with large flour tortillas filled with meat, whereas taquitos are usually made with smaller corn tortillas that have been rolled up into a cylinder shape.
Both dishes are typically deep-fried in oil, but they can also be made in an air fryer. So, if you’re looking for a healthier alternative to deep-fried flautas or taquitos, give this air fryer recipe a try!
What to Serve With Air Fryer Flautas?
Let’s explore a few of our favorite side dishes for air fryer flautas.
1. Cilantro Lime Rice:
Cilantro lime rice is a great option if you’re looking for something light and flavorful to go with your flautas. This rice dish is infused with fresh cilantro and lime juice, giving it an extra zing of flavor.
You can use either white or brown rice, depending on your preference.
To add even more flavor, try adding some freshly chopped tomatoes and onions before serving.
2. Refried Beans:
Refried beans are an essential accompaniment to Mexican food like flautas. They have a creamy texture and mild flavor that pairs perfectly with the crunchy air-fried exterior of the flautas.
Plus, they’re packed with protein and fiber, making them an excellent source of nutrition as well!
A refreshing salad is always a great side dish for air fryer flautas—especially if you want to create a light meal.
Try combining greens like spinach or arugula with chopped vegetables like tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, or onions for a nutritious and tasty side dish.
Top it off with some crumbled feta cheese or grilled chicken for extra protein and flavor!
Last but not least, salsa is another must-have accompaniment to air fryer flautas.
Choose from mild to spicy salsas depending on how much heat you’d like in your meal!
You can buy pre-made salsa at the store or make your own using ingredients like diced tomatoes, jalapenos, garlic, onion, cilantro, lime juice, and salt & pepper.
How Do You Keep Air Fryer Flautas Crispy?
In order to keep your air fryer flautas crispy, you should make sure that you don’t overcrowd the basket of your air fryer when cooking them.
If there’s too much space between each taquito, they won’t be as crunchy as if they were touching each other. You can also try applying a light oil coating before air frying them to help create a perfectly crisp exterior.
Lastly, don’t forget to let the flautas cool slightly before serving so that they stay cooked and crispy!
What Kind of Filling Goes Well With Air Fryer Flauta Recipe?
Let’s explore the possibilities!
1. Shredded Chicken Filling
Shredded chicken is a classic filling for flautas and it works great in an air fryer version too.
- Once it’s finished, shred the chicken breast and mix it with some cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and salt to give it a bit of extra flavor.
- Then just fill your tortillas with the mixture and roll them up tight before placing them in the air fryer to cook until crisp.
2. Pulled Pork Filling
Another delicious option for your air fryer flautas is pulled pork.
All you need to do is prepare some slow-cooked pulled pork using your favorite seasoning blend and then stuff it into your tortillas along with some diced red onion and shredded cheese.
The pulled pork will get crisp on the outside while staying juicy inside. It’s sure to be a hit!
3. Ground Beef Filling
For those who are looking for something a bit heartier, ground beef is always a great option for an air fryer flauta recipe.
- Start by cooking some ground beef in the air fryer until fully cooked, then add some diced peppers, onions, garlic cloves, cumin, chili powder, paprika, black pepper, and salt to give it some extra flavor.
- Fill your tortillas with this mixture and place them into the hot air fryer to cook until they’re golden brown and crunchy on the outside while still being juicy inside.
Following the right tips to make your flautas can be the difference between a good and a great dish!
- Chef’s suggestion is to use precooked rotisserie chicken, leftover chicken from another meal, or cook the chicken specifically for that dish. It all depends on which one you prefer and how much time you are willing to devote.
- To get the ideal crispy texture, it’s important not to overcrowd the air fryer basket. This allows the air to circulate evenly so each flauta can be cooked perfectly without sacrificing any flavor.
- Cook them in batches if needed–it never hurts to take an extra step for restaurant-quality food!
Variations For Flautas:
Flautas have become a favorite dish of many because they are so versatile.
- Not only can they be made with a variety of meats like shredded beef, pork, or chicken, but they can be given an extra punch of flavor with the addition of sharp cheddar cheese or Monterey Jack.
- Then to make them even better, serve them with a variety of dips like taco sauce, salsa, Picante sauce, sour cream, or guac for a delicious meal that everyone in the family is sure to love.
These air fryer flautas are a delicious way to enjoy Mexican-style food without all the added fat and calories. The combination of beef, cheese, and spices makes these flautas incredibly flavorful.
No matter which filling you choose for your air fryer flauta recipe, they’re sure to be delicious! Shredded chicken, pulled pork, or ground beef all work well in an air-fried version of this classic Mexican dish.
Don’t forget all of those delicious toppings like salsa, sour cream, or even guacamole – these will take your flautas from good to great!
So next time you want something different for dinner try out this tasty air-fried recipe – you won’t regret it!
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.